The Student News Site of Brandon High School

Brandon Bulldog Media Group

Brandon Bulldog Media Group

Brandon Bulldog Media Group

BHS Theatre Presents: “Up the Down Staircase”

Brandon High School Theater held its first performance on November 14th. “Up the Down Staircase” was acted out by many students who had never been on stage before, as Mark Lunsford- Brandon’s theater teacher, mentioned. “Up the Down Staircase” centered around a young, ambitious teacher named Sylvia Barrett. When faced with a somewhat rowdy class, she was disheartened. Throughout the play, Barrett becomes attached to a corrupted student, Joe Ferone. She believed that making a difference in his life gave her purpose as a teacher. When talking to a friend, Ellen, on the phone, Sylvia is told, “You’re not there to fight for them. You’re a teacher.” Up the Down Staircase brought the trials and tribulations of education into discussion. I found it interesting when the class discussed Macbeth, and Jose, the quiet kid in her class, spoke up and said too much ambition could bring trouble. Throughout the play, Sylvia’s purpose regarding her style is apparent. She insists on changing their futures yet does not see the change she is making. The suggestion box on her desk allowed her students to communicate her impact. They’d come up individually and confess their emotions surrounding her. Sylvia Barrett brought purpose to her students and motivated them to strive for success. When the lights dimmed at the end of the play, the audience burst into hoots and hollers. Up the Down Staircase was a beautiful way to honor the impact of education, and we are so proud of the Theatre 3 students!